Image: Darren Abate, USL

San Antonio FC drew 1-1 with Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday night at Toyota Field, ending their perfect run of six wins against the Oklahoma club coming into the match.

“We were in control of that game and we didn’t capitalize on the opportunities we were creating,” said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell. “You go in that locker room right now and you look at the players and they’re a bit disappointed.”

After much squad rotation for the 4-0 win over Midland-Odessa Sockers FC midweek in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, SAFC went with a mostly standard lineup Saturday. Interestingly, midfielder Mikey Lopez remained in the starting lineup and made his first USL start since March after playing all 90 minutes in the Open Cup. Sixteen-year-old midfielder Ethan Bryant also made his first appearance in a USL matchday squad but did not play.

Hosting the second-to-last team in the USL Western Conference, SAFC looked understandably comfortable in the first half and got ahead in just the seventh minute. Defender Greg Cochrane got forward on the left flank and crossed into the box where the Tulsa defense didn’t deal with the ball, allowing midfielder Omar Gordon to blast the ball off the underside of the crossbar and in.

This was Gordon’s second goal in as many matches after he ran almost the entire length of the field and scored SAFC’s fourth goal Wednesday night in the Open Cup. With the assist, Cochrane also became the first SAFC player to assist in all three seasons for the club.

Tulsa came out the brighter side after halftime though and leveled the score in the 51st minute. Michael Gamble played the ball to fellow forward Joaquin Rivas, who hammered a solid strike into the top corner beyond the reach of SAFC goalkeeper Diego Restrepo.

“When we put teams on their back foot, we need to put them away – one goal simply isn’t enough,” Cochrane said. “If we are more clinical in the attacking third, then we’re up two or three (goals) and it’s a completely different game, so when we have the opportunities to score, we need to do it.”

SAFC has only four days until their next match as they face Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC for the first time in 2018, albeit in the next round of the Open Cup. They’ll then travel out of Texas and back to Nevada for the first time in almost a month as they visit Reno 1868 FC on May 26.

Posted by J. Check


  1. Honestly that is the most frustrated I have been leaving Toyota Field. Should have been up at least 2-0 after 30 minutes. Tulsa really only outplayed us for about 10-15 minutes in that 2nd half and then we re-established control but couldn’t create anything of note.


  2. It’s a familiar tale, they’ve always had trouble killing teams off…maybe they get a slight reprieve for the offensive injuries. 😕


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s